The Retrofit Academy was formed in February 2016 through a partnership of organisations who believe that better education is essential to help reduce the risks and improve the quality of retrofitting.
The Academy is a partnership between the National Energy Foundation, the AECB, Matilda’s Planet, The Green Building Store, the Ecology Building Society, Sustainable Homes, and Parity Projects. The Academy also has exclusive training partnerships with leading providers including Rickaby Thompson Associates, Prewett Bizley, Encraft and others. As a not for profit CIC, any surplus is reinvested in to developing new programmes, or are donated to charitable causes.
Recent studies have shown that a significant proportion of building fabric retrofit projects have not employed good practice. There have as a result been significant inefficiencies and the retrofit sector has begun to develop a negative reputation. Examples have included:
- to access funding, the wrong properties have often been targeted with the wrong solutions at the wrong time
- systems have been installed inappropriately, incorrectly or without due care
- energy performance targets have been missed due to poor handover and commissioning
- a lack of leadership and project management
- work has not been quality assured sufficiently well before teams have left site
- inspections have not been sufficiently rigorous, where carried out all
The Retrofit Academy offers courses and guidance that help professionals avoid these pitfalls. Drawing upon the huge experience of a team of leading practitioners, The Academy’s training courses provide essential learning based on real-world examples. We can help you to:
- create a better business case for retrofit
- plan and organise projects more efficiently
- lower the risks of retrofit by gaining an understanding of a best practice approach
- train your workforce at all levels around a common methodology